Sunday, September 13, 2015

So many options, whats a game programmer to do

This has been a difficult question lately with for all kinds of programming tasks. Its sometimes feels like the toss of a coin. 

Delusional thoughts...

Do I go with Java and deal with the steep cost of over engineering. Or do I use unreal engine cause every professional game is made with it. Or perhaps Ogre3d to just take up so much time reimplementing or integrating c++ packages. Perhaps I should just stick with Unity its popular these days. 

Anh! but the workflow for Unity involves nothing but hacking around and repositioning everything which i should probably just get used to, since that seems to be how all levels are made. I could try HaxeFlixel again that actually showed promise and was something different. It had my game state pattern built in which was cool. 

I could go back to SDL with SDL2 but the setup was nightmarish to include all the necessary SDL pieces and kind of a bad fragmented experience. Or I could just use GameMaker its still around, of course Construct worked though they are in a monetizing phase and Construct2 didn't seem performant in the browser and the interface is not conducive to game design but gives me the feel of the old school drag and drop GUI editors.

...from fantasy island

Retrospectively I have failed repeatedly to make games with any of these. Usually its because i start and then reach some part of the process where I have to make a decision about what I do next and I cannot decide how to choose either the implementation detail or a game design choice. But in order to move forward I must choose.

desire for motivation


So it would probably help for me to state the problem and then come up with a solution. I have been trying to find the best way to motivate continuous change within software to push development forward and to not get stagnated. If successful I will be able to put aside my uncertainty and anxiety and move forward. It should help propel my projects forward.

The key to overcoming these adversities and focus on the task at hand and propel things forward is first to a release them and increase my public code presence. Which will help with my career and help get users who may need new features so as to add additional incentive.

Next is to know where each project is in its development, and roadmap the near and far future. The better the roadmap the easier it is to just pick up the project months down the road and get it to that next step.

What is truly need by ever programmer is to clearly identify what the next coding objective is whether it be to write an abstract game saving mechanism or to write a high throughput light calculation algorithm it remains the same, what do I work on next. Regardless of language or package we must remain objective in order to develop games.

No comments:

Post a Comment