Wednesday, December 3, 2008

My Game Making Future?

What does the future have in store for you?
I never thought I would actually be interested in reading blogs. Even when I first heard the term blog, and thought to myself, "is this person deficient, do they know how to speak english?". And later finding out that blog was short for web log. "How corny" was what came to my mind. And yes it still is, every damn time I say "I'm writing a blog post".

The Revalation
I believe that things happen for a reason and in the right sequence but we still have to grab a hold of the opportunities that are shoved in our faces. It's recognizing what is an opportunity and whether it can't hurt to grab on to it and hold on tight. See, recently I've been reading a Game Design Theory and Practice, Second Edition by Richard Rouse III. Starting a couple days before thanksgiving, and before I spent the weekend at my friends house just playing video games. I inevitably started thinking that I don't really make games I expirement with programming concepts. Ever pushing myself to understand all space partitioning algorithms or to write that next gen physics engine.

Self Denial
I realize that my belief that I have to create the next best technology in game engines, that perfect AI, or infinite content generation, is a total bust. I don't have to make the best engine or best OO design for my game. Trying to make it the most extendable or reusable. See there is a sin in OO programming that so many fall into. Or at least that I have fallen into, see I find myself anticipating abstraction for even the smallest number of repeated code. I try abstracting when I have as little as two pieces of code which have the same sequence of operations. It's not always productive to bother abstracting it when you only use it in a couple places and won't use it more often as you add more code. Also, I find myself trying to build abstraction layers for things that won't realize those abstractions.

And so all of this had lead me to start thinking in terms of creating games rather than neat little pieces of code that could be used in a game. That and I don't want to keep creating an engine that won't be suitable for a game or a Game Creator that didn't start making games at its earliest version.

The Press
I found this article very enlightening and inspirational as well as hopefull. It made me realize that if I want to create the next gen graphics engine, or physics engine. It couldn't hurt to actually own a studio that makes less technically advanced games and build up to that AAA titled. And of course "bedroom coders" as he calls them is what the video gaming industry is built on and it's definitely better to be in that group than to be a code monkey for a corporate giant or a limited studio who is known only for ports and movie games.

No comments:

Post a Comment